Weight loss: Healthy calorie swaps that enrich diet, help you shed kilos  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Calorie control is used as a popular tactic to facilitate weight management
- Mindful eating and making the right food choices can be used as a way to aid weight loss
- Read on to know about some calorie swaps that can promote weight loss
New Delhi: Calorie control is used as a popular tactic to facilitate weight management. Contrary to the popular misconception, starvation is not the only way to carry our calorie control. Mindful eating and making the right food choices can also be used as a way to aid weight loss. For instance, a variety of foods that are high in calories can be swapped with foods that are comparatively low in calories and healthier.
Swaps for weight loss
Here are some calorie swaps that can promote weight loss:
- Soda with infused water: Who wouldn’t like a glass of refreshing beverage to wash down a meal. But did you know that picking the wrong beverage can cause you to gain weight? Sodas are a source of excessive sugar and calories that can be unhealthy for the body. However, swapping soda with infused water can have miraculous benefits on the body. Furthermore, they are lower in calories as well.
- Dried fruit with fresh fruit: Dried fruits might be considered as an easy snack option, but is it a healthy one? If you want to have a nutritious snack, go for fresh fruits as they are lower in calories and higher in fibre, water, and other nutrients. Furthermore, dried fruit is a source of concentrated sugar which can be unhealthy for the body.
- Flavoured yoghurt with Greek yoghurt: Be it oats or granola, adding yoghurt to the breakfast can add to its deliciousness. However, flavoured yoghurt can be high in calories which can add to weight gain. For a healthier alternative, you can swap flavoured yoghurt with Greek yoghurt which is lower in calories and higher in fibre and protein.
- Mayonnaise with mustard: From burgers to sandwiches, mayonnaise is used in almost every dish. This condiment, although delicious, might not be the healthiest option. However, this condiment can be swapped with a healthier and equally delicious alternative – mustard. This alternative is comparatively low in calories as well.
- Store dressing with oil: Dressings such as ranch, ketchup, etc. are popularly used as sides and condiments in snacks, salads, and other dishes. Despite the flavour, these dressings can end up adding excessive calories, salt, and sugar to the diet. This issue can be overcome by swapping dressings with oils such as olive oil, flaxseed oil, sesame oil, etc.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.